Karten Design is a product design and innovation consultancy with over 30 years of experience partnering with medical and consumer companies to build their business through design.
K:D leverages our team’s long history in designing consumer products to bring an added focus on people and emotion to the healthcare market. The results are medical devices and digital health solutions that emotionally engage their users. We inspire users to buy in at a deep emotional level, which motivates behavior change, increases adherence, enables better health outcomes, and ultimately improves lives.
Medical Product Innovation
Inspired by deep empathy for the needs of patients, caregivers, and clinical professionals, we create health solutions that people love, increasing adoption and adherence.
Digital Health Product Innovation
Leveraging our 30 years of experience translating people’s complex needs into effective medical products and desirable consumer products, we develop “sticky” digital health solutions that provide clinical value and get consumers engaged.
Consumer Product Innovation
Delving deep into complex motivators that drive people’s behavior and decision-making, we create desirable solutions that inspire and empower.
Karten Design believes that people’s experiences with the products they use have a profound effect on their quality of life, driving feelings like ability and belonging. With every new design, we seek to inspire and empower. We delve into people’s lives, studying behaviors, ceremonies, motivation, beliefs, and emotions to build deep empathy.
We become advocates for end users during the product development process, rallying multi-disciplinary teams around their physical and emotional needs.
Our approach provides return on investment for our clients, who come to Karten Design because they want to make compelling products available to loyal, enthusiastic customers. By focusing on the user experience, we develop products that become
- IDEA Silver IDSA 2011
- IDEA Bronze IDSA 2011
- People's Design Award Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum 2008
- Product Designer of the Year International Design Award 2009
- Services Medical Devices Healthcare Innovation Award Frost & Sullivan 2008
- GOOD Design Award Chicago Athenaeum 2010
- Innovations Honoree CES 2011
- IDEA Bronze IDSA 2012
- GOOD Design Award Chicago Athenaeum 2012
- Product Design Award Red Dot 2014
- GOOD Design Award Chicago Athenaeum 2015
- GOOD Design Award Chicago Athenaeum 2017
- SXSW Interactive Innovation Award SXSW 2017
- Product Design Award FastCompany Innovation By Design 2018
- USC Center for Body Computing